Thursday, July 24, 2008

Breaking Up Is Hard to Do

Ever find yourself in a relationship that you know you shouldn't be in? The person isn't great for you, but their not entirely bad for you either. You have fun together, you spend all of your time together, you get along, but something about the relationship just drains you. I've been needing to make a clean break in this relationship I've been in since the mid- '90s. Yeah, we'vebeen together for a long time.
Busy and I have always been a good team. She's always got something going on, always something to do, somewhere to be, someone to see, someone to call, email, write a card to, take dinner to, say yes to - busy girl that Busy.
But Busy and I have that typical "unhealthy" relationship. I really like her most of the time. She's part of who I am. In fact, she's something I inherited from my mother, and I believe it's at least a third generation trait. I like Busy because I'm comfortable with her. She's like second nature to me. But she gets me in trouble. She's like weeds suffocating young periwinkles in the bird bath garden that are trying to breathe but can't because they can't break though.
I've been telling Busy that it's not working out. That I'm not happy with our relationship anymore. And she's quick to remind me that she's got a log to offer: time with friends, trips to Wal-Mart, work, writing, developing new ideas, going to birthday parties, planning birthday parties, running errands, planning showers, going to showers, researching our health, investigating school districts, looking for real estate, going to Church, Bible Study -none of which are bad things to do. She makes a good point.
But, I finally mustered up the courage to tell her that I'd met someone else. Just a friend thing, but I'm learning a lot, and I can still have most of those things, I just can't have them all at once. I met Balance.
I don't know all there is to know, or even much about Balance yet, but I think there's much to be gleaned and implemented.

1 comment:

Ginger and Seane said...

you're such a great writer! just wanted to tell you. :)